Problems accessing a previously working Samba system

Brian Boguhn boguhn at entelos.com
Wed Nov 15 16:32:43 GMT 2000

I had not checked Samba running on my system, <Unix_ws>, in a few weeks.
When I went to access <Unix_ws> the other day, I was unable to via Windows
Explorer; I got that familiar window where it prompts for a username and
password, and keeps doing that no matter what is entered.

As I had not accessed it in quite some time, the only thing I could figure
was that it wasn't working because I had changed passwords on my <NT_domain>
domain account.  However, my username on <Unix_ws>, which is the same as my
domain username, had its password changed at the same time to the same
thing.

What I then did yesterday was to remove <Unix_ws> from <NT_domain>, and
remove <NT_domain>.<Unix_ws>.mac, machine.sid, and smbpasswd from
/usr/local/samba/private.  I then, after putting <Unix_ws> back into the
domain via server manager, re-added <Unix_ws> using ./smbpasswd -j
<NT_domain> -r <domain_ctlr> (same command I've used to add all systems I've
configured with Samba to the domain) at its own console, as the instructions
say and as I have done before.  I did this several times yesterday, and each
time after I did it and rebooted <Unix_ws>, I got the same issue of being
prompted for a username and password.

Finally, I let it sit overnight.  This morning I went through the same steps
of removing it from the domain, re-adding it, and then putting it in
(successfully, I might add - no error messages) with smbpasswd.  When I try
to access it from Windows Explorer this morning, I get this:

<Unix_ws> is not accessible.  The remote procedure call failed.

I rebooted the system, and the error still occurs.

Suggestions and help appreciated.  Thanks.

Brian Boguhn
Server Administrator
Entelos, Inc.
Menlo Park, CA