I can't get Samba 2.07 to work in RD 7.0

Michael Johnston mike.j.johnston at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 14 19:11:30 GMT 2000

Can someone help find out why I can't get samba to work?  It seems like RedHat changes everything around when a new version is released.  For some reason when I do a "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start", both smbd and nmbd start, but they only stay stared for about 30 seconds.  When I try to start the daemons in SWAT under services it takes about 2 minutes to refresh and then it tells me that they are still not started.  What am I doing wrong??  I'm going to kill myself if it's something easy.  Below is a copy of my smb.conf file (That is now in /etc/samba/ because Redhat decided to move it so no samba document would be easy to follow) and my xinetd.conf (Because Redhat thought inetd.conf was to easy to find).  Thanks again!

Mike Johnston

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.10.10.2 (10.10.10.2)
# Date: 2000/11/14 03:56:15

# Global parameters

[global]
        workgroup = PROFALT
        netbios name = LIN_SMB
        server string = Linux Samba
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 10.10.10.1
        remote announce = 10.10.10.255
        remote browse sync = 10.10.10.255
        printing = lprng

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[public]
        comment = Shared files
        path = /johnston/stuff
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0777
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST RECORD
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d