SMB LM/NT Password did not match!

Jordi M jordi2242 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 20:17:46 GMT 2000

Hello.

I have installed Samba-TNG 2.6 and after configure it it's impossible to see
the shared resources from an NT wks 4.0 nor any windows 9x machine, nor the
samba box itself using sbmclient. In log.smb I get:

LSA_OPENSECRET: NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
SMB LM/NT Password did not match!
Rejecting user 'jordi': authentication failed

I know this problem has happened to a more than one person, and I have seen
some replies with (unuseful) solutions, for example:

- In the NT user/password prompt: \\SAMBAMACHINE\user as user. It does not
work.
- Reset machine account in samba box. It doesn't work. I have reset the
machine, the user account and everything I have around me (the only thing I
have not reset yet is my patience, but I will soon reset it and give up this
thing.)

The user account exists in passwd and smbpasswd, and both passwords are
equal. Although I think it is not necessary, I have created also an account
for the machine I try to connect from.

Here, we don't have a PDC. I'm only trying to configure samba-tng to act as
a stand alone box member of our group. You can ask why, in this case, don't
use samba-2.0.7? The reason is because my purpouse is to configure samba-tng
as our PDC, but before doing that I have to resolve this problem with the
user/password validation.

Regards,

  Jordi.

Here you have a copy of my smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = GRUPO
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes

after that, the [homes] section as usual and some other resources.