Samba 2.2.0 with this patch allows Win2K to join domain

Stokes edmundo at moscow.com
Sun Nov 5 18:10:56 GMT 2000

I applied this patch and still I recieve the message "The following error
occured attempting to join the domain "mydomain": The credentials supplied
conflict with an existing set of credentials" when trying to add a w2k
machine to the domain.  This is right after w2k machine asks for the name
and password of an account "with permission to join the domain".  I have
added the root account to smbpasswd file but I noticed that I recieve this
error even if I enter a non-existent account name when windows asks for a
domain admin account name.  Also I have reset the password for the machine
account using smbpasswd -a -m machine$ (note: the entry does not appear to
change after using this command, but the machine still can't join even if I
use the -n optino for no password).

Perhaps samba is not reading the smbpasswd file correctly?  Or maybe I need
to define "add user script" in my smb.conf?  The only problem with that
setting is that I am running freeBSD, and the adduser utility seems to
demand interaction...

any suggestions?  every other feature of 2.2.0 seems to work flawlessly.

Stokes