Honouring eXecute permissions on NT?

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Fri Nov 3 09:55:55 GMT 2000

But it's not hard for them to store the binaries on the network, and copy
them to the local machine TEMP directory at login, and run them from there.
I did just that very thing as a (naughty) undergraduate here at Imperial, to
get around the execute permissions thing...

I've just tried using Samba's "Security" support (network permission
setting) and NT doesn't seem to honour the execute ACL bit on that share.
Even if it did, the user will be listed as the file's owner, and can change
the permissions back at will. I understand what you're trying to do, but I
can't see a way of doing it.

That said - why doesn't NT honour the execute permission bit on 2.0.7 Samba
shares?

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |