Honouring eXecute permissions on NT?

swright at sls.bc.ca swright at sls.bc.ca
Thu Nov 2 16:53:39 GMT 2000

On 2 Nov 2000, at 15:55, Mayers, Philip J wrote:

> You're going about it the wrong way - "execute" permissions don't make sense
> in NT. If you don't want them to execute the file, deny them read
> permission, not execute. Ideally, put them in a seperate directory and deny
> them read permission on the directory (and execute, which equates to
> traverse).

We don't have this option. The network shares are for personal file storage.
The idea is to prevent students from executing programs they download and
store on the network. I'm aware that removing R permissions will work where
required, but it won't work in this situation. It works fine with NT, and I'm
hoping to get the same function with Samba if possible.

Shawn Wright
Computer Systems Manager
Shawnigan Lake School
http://www.sls.bc.ca