AW: SMP

Chris Tooley ctooley at joslyn.org
Tue May 30 16:35:06 GMT 2000

We have a Dual PII 333 with 256 M and Kernel 2.2.14 w/SMP.  We have Samba 2.0.7
and TNG 2.5.3 (currently only for experimentation).  There are a total of 75
users, with 55-60 concurrents at peak times and around 10-15 very active threads
at a time.  The majority of our users are using large datafiles that are housed
on the server and there is always 2 or 3 active data retrevials (compiling a
report that doesn't kill the workstation in this database is next to impossible)
at any given time and sometimes up to 5.  The system takes extensive hits during
the day, but has not problems doing this as well as being our primary DNS,
e-mail, and backup server.

SMP made a huge difference.  At first we had just one of the processors and the
machine wasn't keeping up so we got the second one.  As soon as we recompiled
the kernel and rebooted again, it was like night and day as far as speed.

Chris