Samba source style guide (was Re: regcreateval "(default)"?)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu May 25 01:30:40 GMT 2000

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> Luke, hacking in your tree (which I hope to start doing more of as I
> learn my way around and find things I can actually understand well
> enough to hack on), do you have any sort of style guide?  The GNU
> Project has one, the Linux kernel has one....  Do you have prefs?

YES!  see source/.indent.pro, it's not perfect, but a pretty close fit.

1) always use a tab to indent, not spaces.
2) always use { and } even on single statements.
3) { and } always align like this, on everything (including switch and
even case).

	if (...)
	{
		statement(s);
	}

4) limit of 80 chars per line.
5) if the number of indentations (when viewed with tab-as-eight-spaces)
forces you to start wrapping functions messily at the right hand side of
the screen, split the damn function!

that's pretty much it.