regcreateval "(default)"? (was Re: ILOVEYOU version 2.0 ..)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed May 24 23:34:46 GMT 2000

hey, peter, you wanna add some parsing of [DWORD] instead of 1, etc?

needs a str_to_enum_field() in lib/util_str.c which does the reverse,
surprisingly, of enum_field_to_str().

str_to_enum_field should accept numbers as well as the string.

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Todd Sabin <tas at webspan.net>]
> > Well, these values which show as "(Default)" in regedit (and "<No
> > Name>" in regedt32) actually have "" as their value-name.  Yes,
> > that's the Null string.
>
> I suspected as much.
>
> > Why MS lets you create values with no name is beyond me.  Anyway,
> > samba-tng's rpcclient (at least) can create these with a small patch.
> > Here it is against samba-tng-alpha.2.5.3:
>
> Woohoo!  I haven't tried it yet, but (assuming it works) many thanks!
> Full remote access to NT registries!  Well, except for ACLs, but I
> don't really need those.
>
> > regcreateval HKCR\Software\Foo\ 1 bar
> >
> > Which creates a value with no name under key Foo.  Note the trailing
> > backslash.  That might be confusing to some, but I don't have a
> > better idea for how to handle it.
>
> No, that's absolutely intuitive.  That's what I was trying to do before
> (and rpcclient of course wouldn't let me).
>
> Definitely you need the trailing slash, because it is possible to have
> a key and value of the same name under the same key.  *That* is the
> confusing part, in my opinion, and as usual, it's All Microsoft's
> Fault. (:
>
> Peter

ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals