OT: Mail servers / Exchange (was TNG PDC & NT BDC)

danb at eocwa.org danb at eocwa.org
Sun May 21 16:18:05 GMT 2000

> I'd been avoiding having an NT Server box, but Exchange's
> requirement to
> run on NT Server, coupled with our requirement to use Outlook
> for group
> scheduling meant I had to cave. Ho hum. So far we've only tried it out
> on a couple of users - against a trial TNG domain, not in a real use
> environment, but it appeared to work OK.
>
> Anyone done a real evaluation of HP's Openmail? This might be an
> alternative to Exchange, but I've no real idea whether it's complete
> enough.

Yes.  And yes.  Openmail 6.0 with EP1 and a patch from EP2 seems real
stable with outlook2k here.  Using it for 50 users here and it works
great (even on our old, overloaded P133/32mb).  Why does everyone think
Exchange is so stable and great anyway?  They're both buggy, but I
think Exchange is buggier.

In our situation, we only had a P133, and you'll have more problems
from running NT+Exchange on a P133 then you will from openmail.