ILOVEYOU version 2.0 ..

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sat May 20 13:37:10 GMT 2000

[Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org>]
> i cross-posted to NTBUGTRAQ, mike or anyone else if you think this
> does a lot of damage [more than the virus itself] please say so, thx.

Oh, not more than the virus itself, it just breaks the association
between *.VBS and VBScript, meaning that *.VBS files simply can't run.

The real problem was that I couldn't find any easy way to reverse this
except on the local console, since rpcclient seems unable to add a
"default value" to a key and the NT regedit tools have other
shortcomings in remote mode.  I expect the rpcclient limitation will
eventually be remedied, though I doubt I'm competent to write such a
patch myself.  (I did look at it the other day, no joy.)

Peter