status of pam_ntdom, or is it winbind?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri May 19 09:49:30 GMT 2000

At 08:57 AM 5/19/00 +1000, Matthew Geddes wrote:
>Quoting Richard Sharpe <sharpe at ns.aus.com>:
>
>> Well, there is Samba 2.0.7, which can authenticate
>users from Windows NT
>> 4.0 clients probably up to about SP 5, as long as you
>do not use NTLMv2.
>>
>> Then there is Samba TNG, which can handle Windows NT
>clients as well as
>> NT5/Win2K clients and has a lot more stuff implemented
>such that things
>> like User Manager for domains works better etc.
>>

>Richard, you appear to have misunderstood the question.
>It would appear that he was after the status of the PAM
>stuff. \"to authenticate users on Unix via an NT
>Domain?\".
>
>Dan Shearer was telling us the other night that it\'s now
>possible to do the following on PAM-based systems:
>
>login: NT_DOMAIN\\Domain_User
>password: NT_password
>
>as well as things like chown and ls -l working.
>
>Can anybody point myself and Edward Schernau in the
>right direction?

Well, I saw this last week. It really does work, and it is part of winbind
but it also works with PAM ...

It was neat to see: ls -al

-rwxr-xr-x 1 DOMAIN\user DOMAIN\group ...

Except that the user and group were truncated because of ls's problems with
length.

I think it is going into HEAD and TNG ...

>Thanks,
>Matt

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course