status of pam_ntdom, or is it winbind?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue May 16 21:27:49 GMT 2000

At 12:44 AM 5/19/00 +1000, Edward Schernau wrote:
>Can someone tell me what the current status of whatever the
>software is called to authenticate users on Unix via an
>NT Domain?

Well, there is Samba 2.0.7, which can authenticate users from Windows NT
4.0 clients probably up to about SP 5, as long as you do not use NTLMv2.

Then there is Samba TNG, which can handle Windows NT clients as well as
NT5/Win2K clients and has a lot more stuff implemented such that things
like User Manager for domains works better etc.

Then there is the head code, in which some merging has been occurring. So
it may also handle some aspects of NT5/Win2K logons now, but I have not
tried it so I don't know.

>--
>Edward Schernau,		mailto:ed at schernau.com
>Network Architect		http://www.schernau.com
>RC5-64#: 243249			e-gold acct #:131897

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course