There are still login problems

Tim Deegan Tim.Deegan at domainregistry.ie
Fri May 12 09:17:38 GMT 2000

Hi,

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 02:48:54PM +1000, Lars Kneschke wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Some days ago 3 or 4 people posted a email, that they can't login corectly.
> After login you get a message that win nt can't load the profile, and in
> smb.log you will see, that samba thinks that the supplied password is wrong.
> But the password is ok, you login using smbclient. This problems still
> exists. If no one will fix it, samba tng is not useable, and no serious
> testing can be done!
>
> Have some other people this problem too?

Yes, from Win2k, the login was accepted but then the win2k user
couldn't access shares on the Samba Server (TNG alpha 2.5.3 on
RH6.2/x86).

ISTR if I gave "TESTDOMAIN\user" as the username (in the dialog box for
mapping to the share) it then accepted the connection.

My smb.conf is below.  Sorry I can't give you more details, I toasted
my only Win2k box and won't have a chance to fix it till next week.

Tim.

--
| Tim Deegan          TJD7-RIPE |     ...we were back to the sad age-old |
|                               |          knowledge that there are only |

[global]

#NetBIOS name isn't needed if it's the same as the hostname
netbios name = PDC
workgroup = TESTDOMAIN
server string = Test PDC running Samba TNG

# Security
hosts allow = xxx.x.xxx. 127.
interfaces = eth0:8
bind interfaces only = yes

# Deal with case changes
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes

# Keep away from Samba 2.0.x server
log file = /var/log/samba-tng/log.%m
lock dir = /var/lock/samba-tng

#flat files that map Unix groups to NT type groups.
#these files take the form unix_group = `Windows NT group''
domain group map = /usr/local/samba-tng/private/domaingroup.map
domain alias map = /usr/local/samba-tng/private/domainalias.map

#Domain controllers use user security and we need encrypted
#passwords (see ENCRYPTION.txt)
security = user
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes

#And in order for us to be *sure* to win browser elections
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

#WINS is the equivalent of DNS for NetBIOS.
wins support = yes
time server = yes

#the next lines are equivalent to the various profile details
#found in NT's User Manager
logon script = login.bat
logon drive = U:
logon home = \\PDC\%U
logon path = \\PDC\profile\%U

#share all home directories
[homes]
browseable = no
writable = yes
comment = Users' home directories

#set up netlogon share for system policies and login scripts
[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba-tng/netlogon
writable = no
guest ok = no
comment = PDC netlogon share

#the profiles share
#to create automatic subdirs for the different users
#chmod 1777 /usr/local/samba-tng/profile
[profile]
path = /usr/local/samba-tng/profile
writeable = yes

#a public share