How does NT choose a DC?

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Wed May 10 20:59:34 GMT 2000

    Luke> now, is anyone curious as to _why_ it sometimes takes 30
    Luke> seconds to time-out if your DC can't be found?

There is a good doc on the NT DC location process here and how to hack
it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/1/71.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

There seems to be a form of DC location called H-node that will
broadcast if WINS fails to give it some DCs.  The 30 secs is probably
the default timeout.  I saw a situation like this today on a machine
that had a bogus WINS address for our primary domain.

Then there is M-node, which broadcasts first but does not wait for the
full timeout.  In all there are about 5 different location mechanisms
mentioned in that article.

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD