do I need trust?

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed May 10 20:28:35 GMT 2000

david.daugherty at netmanage.com wrote:

> I'm trying to get samba to pull in the auth from an NT
> PDC using the web page
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/page6.html. If I
> set security=server I can get it to work i.e. smbpasswd -j
> domainname works.
>
> However, using security=domain is supposed to create less
> traffic by not keeping the sockets open. If I change
> security=domain then running smbpasswd -j domainname
> pitches a fit:
> cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed

David,

When joining a Windows NT domain.  All  member machines
have a machine trust account.  This is not the same thing as an
inter domain trust though.

After you executed smbpasswd -j <domain> -r <passwd server>,
the Samba server changed the account password.  When you
executed the previous command again, it would not work
because the account password was not set to the default
value.  You will need to remove and readd the machine from
the domain in the Server Manager (NT tool) and then reexecute
the smbpasswd again.

Cheers,
jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com    VA Linux Systems  gcarter at valinux.com