do I need trust?

david.daugherty at netmanage.com david.daugherty at netmanage.com
Wed May 10 19:28:14 GMT 2000

Hello all,

I'm trying to get samba to pull in the auth from an NT PDC using the web
page http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/page6.html. If I set
security=server I can get it to work i.e. smbpasswd -j domainname works.
However, using security=domain is supposed to create less traffic by not
keeping the sockets open. If I change security=domain then running smbpasswd
-j domainname pitches a fit:
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine MYPDC.
Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

It looks like a need to create a trust between the PDC and my samba client.
Is there any other way around this?

David Daugherty
Software Eng., Intern
Rumba Server Mgmt. Team