Problems with Samba from a moron

Nicholas Wong nwong at booksys.com
Wed May 10 15:41:18 GMT 2000

Jeez I'm sorry. I didn't think about that at the time...

I am running LinuxPPC on a G3 266 mac on a 10 baseT lan with mostly 100
baseT win98 machines (that work fine) and one Win2000 Machine (that dosn't
work at all). as far as the exact number for the samba distro, it is the one
that came with LinuxPPC. I believe (not sure here) that it is 2.0.0.6 The
package is samba-2.0.0.6-12.ppc.rpm.

When I installed it it came with no default smb.conf file, and I used the
web administration tool to create one. After about 2 hours of working on it,
I finally got logons to work. Now, I need to get better network security,
(perhaps a newer version of samba is in order?), I need to get this Win2000
computer logged in, and try to get PoPToP working with it to allow VPN
domain logons. (but that is much later)

I need the server to be my router for my ADSL connection for sure, Samba is
for mostly filesharing and VPN, and perhaps a webserver.

That's probably more information than you need, but here are the problems I
can identify with it.

1. It says that netlogon has failed in the logs when I logon.
2. It says (all the time) that Gethostbyaddr in some c library has failed.
3. Sometimes Samba just shuts down (perhaps this is just shotty power in the
apartment)

If you could help with any of this I would be greatful.

Nick