SAMBA & Printing to a WinX share

Paul J Collins pjdc at eircom.net
Fri May 5 18:16:48 GMT 2000

    Gerry> PS: For you NT experts, how do I force a share off?  I do
    Gerry> not wish to share drive C:, yet everytime I turn off the
    Gerry> share of "C:" and "C:\WINNT" it comes back.

This is a "feature" of Windows NT.  By default, %systemroot% is shared
as ADMIN$, and each drive is shared as C$, D$ etc.  They don't show up
when you browse into a machine, but they do exists.

To disable them permanently, add this key to the registry:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
Value: AutoShareWks (DWORD)      -- WORKSTATION ONLY
Value: AutoShareServer (DWORD)   -- SERVER ONLY
Data: 0

You only need one of the above values, depending on what kind of NT
your machine is running.  You will need to reboot for it to take
effect, or you can delete them using "net share C$ /delete", etc. if
you don't want to restart just yet.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I stole this from:

http://www.ntfaq.com/ntfaq/network21.html

Paul.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums at eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD