SAMBA & Printing to a WinX share

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri May 5 17:46:51 GMT 2000

[Gerry George <ggeorge at digisolv.com>]
> PhotoEX:\
>          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/PhotoEX:\
>          :mx#0:\
>          :sh:\
>          :if=/var/spool/lpd/PhotoEX/filter:\
>          :af=/var/spool/lpd/PhotoEX/acct:\
>          :lp=/dev/null:
[...]
> I notice that there is no reference to the target machine in the
> second instance, nor the fact that it is an SMB-accessed printer.

The standard Berkeley printer daemon (lpd) does not directly support
SMB.  So the usual way to handle this is to set up your input filter
(the "if=" field) to a script that calls `smbclient' -- and then to set
your print device ("lp=") to /dev/null.

So check your /var/spool/lpd/PhotoEX/filter script, and get back to us.

> PS: For you NT experts, how do I force a share off?  I do not wish to
> share drive C:, yet everytime I turn off the share of "C:" and
> "C:\WINNT" it comes back.

Dunno.  That's weird.  We've never had any trouble with this.

Peter