Password change under NT

Greg Roberts gregr at ee.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 3 03:03:56 GMT 2000

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Michael Glauche wrote:

> > Hi all. I'm currently having problems with changing passwords under NT and
> > having this new password being stored in /etc/yp/passwd and smbpasswd.
>
> Its not working as of TNG 2.5, but Luke promised to fix it ;)
>
> regards,
>     Michael

Is there a version of Samba that I can download and use that will allow
users to change their Samba Password in smbpasswd and to have this also
updated in the UNIX passwd file? Is it just a matter of getting pre TNG
2.5 source?

I know it was able to be done in the past, as I have printouts of mail
sent from users saying they had it working (even under the OS type I'm
trying to get it work on - Digital Unix 4.0D). The mail was dated Nov,
1998 however - (what version of Samba would this correspond to?)

Also, I need to know how to setup a Domain Administrator that actually
works on the NT clients. We tried the mapping of root=Administrator and
having Administrator in the adm group in /etc/group, but it didn't change
any access privileges. I was using:

domain admin group = /usr/local/daemon/samba/lib/domaingroup.map
domain admin users = /usr/local/daemon/samba/lib/domainuser.map

With:

adm="Domain Admins" in the first map and
root=Administrator in the second map.

Thanks,

Greg Roberts

Computer Systems Officer
Dept. of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
The University of Western Australia
NEDLANDS WA 6907 Australia

Ph    : +61-08-9380-7366
Fax   : +61-08-9380-1065