AW: AW: can't login from windows nt anymore

Oliver Malang malang at netengine.at
Mon May 1 09:31:37 GMT 2000

> On Mon, 1 May 2000, Oliver Malang wrote:
>

> > look if your nmbd is running.
> > I had exactly the same problem and I saw that my nmbd was not
> running any
> > more. the logfile said something about panic...I think nmbd just crashed
> > somehow.
>
> that's a fairly serious problem, nmbd crashing: it's a critical single
> process (multi-purpose).
>
> can you get more details, please follow jens' reporting template.

ok, here it is:
linux, suse 6.2, kernel 2.2.13
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)
samba-tng 2.5

I'm running tng for a week now. my workstation is a win2k pro and samba is
acting as a pdc. domain logons work fine so far with the single exception
described above. the strange thing is, that before the domain logon failed,
I recognized, that my IE was getting VERY slow!?!? I restarted my machine(as
this often helps for MS problems...) and then after logging on the domain,
win2k said it could not load the server profile and will use a temporary
local profile. so I took a look at my linux box and saw that nmbd was not
running any more. I started it again and *wow*, the domain logon succeded as
before. besides the IE was working at normal speed again(I've no idea if
this problem was in cunjunction with the nmbd...).

the problem occurred only once so far. I can not reproduce it (I'm afraid I
have no idea how to do....bad luck for you;-))

smb.conf is attached
the respective part of log.nmb follows at the bottom of this mail

hope I didn't forget anything...

:)regards
oliver

process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.0.5: code = 0x12
process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.0.5: code = 0x7
process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.0.5: code = 0x12
process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.0.5: code = 0x12
Got SIGHUP dumping debug info.
dump_workgroups()
 dump workgroup on subnet     192.168.0.3: netmask=  255.255.255.0:
	OMBOX.NET(1) current master browser = MISTRESS
		MISTRESS 400c9b0b (Samba TNG-alpha)
		SLAVE 40011003 ()
INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 23654 (TNG-alpha)
Please read the file BUGS.txt in the distribution
PANIC: internal error
[2000/04/27 10:52:49, 1] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(760)
  Netbios nameserver version TNG-alpha started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1998
started asyncdns process 26000
add_domain_logon_names:
Attempting to become logon server for workgroup OMBOX.NET on subnet
192.168.0.3
add_domain_logon_names:
Attempting to become logon server for workgroup OMBOX.NET on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET
become_domain_master_browser_wins:
Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup OMBOX.NET, subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET.
become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server at IP 192.168.0.3
for domain master browser name OMBOX.NET<1b> on workgroup OMBOX.NET
become_logon_server_success: Samba is now a logon server for workgroup
OMBOX.NET on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET
*****

Samba server MISTRESS is now a domain master browser for workgroup OMBOX.NET
on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET

*****
become_domain_master_browser_bcast:
Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup OMBOX.NET on subnet
192.168.0.3
become_domain_master_browser_bcast: querying subnet 192.168.0.3 for domain
-