Getting Samba Server to Join NT Domain

Lawrence Turowski lpt at swl.msd.ray.com
Fri Mar 31 18:35:12 GMT 2000

I am setting up Samba 2.0.6 on a Solaris machine, ROBILLARD.  I want it
to join an NT domain, SELDOM, on a different subnet.  The PDC for SELDOM
is an NT 4.0 box, SELDOM-PDC.  I added ROBILLARD to the domain on the
PDC and joined the domain from ROBILLARD with 'smbpasswd -j SELTWK-NT'.
Everything worked fine for a while.  However, the PDC reboots every
night, and after rebooting it thought that ROBILLARD was the PDC and
demoted itself.  Any ideas why this happens and what to do about it?

[global]
        netbios name = ROBILLARD
        workgroup = SELDOM
        server string = Samba Server v2.0.6
        security = domain
        password server = SELDOM-PDC SELDOM-BDC
        os level = 0
        domain master = no
        local master = no
        preferred master = no
        remote announce = 138.127.76.90/SELTWK-NT
        encrypt passwords = yes
        interfaces = 138.127.84.115/24
        logon script = %U.bat
        domain logons = Yes
        wins server = 138.127.76.90
        hosts allow = 138.127.76. 127.0.0.1
        printer driver file = /usr/samba/lib/printers.def
        smbrun = /usr/samba/bin/smbrun
        lock dir = /usr/samba/var/locks

thanks,
LT