Why use roaming profiles?

Bruce Vrieling bruce_vrieling at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 31 14:16:53 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have a Samba server, and 10 users I want to migrate from Windows 95 to
Windows NT, and implement a domain. The question has come up with regard to
the use of Roaming Profiles: use them or not use them?

Relevant considerations:

1) These users will always use their own machine; the chance of one of them
logging into any machine other than their own is fairly slim. There will
never be a REQUIREMENT to do so, I don't think.

2) Eventually, they will be RAS'ing into work, and connecting their home
Win95 machines to network drives at work.

Given the above, is there any real advantage to profiles? I have seen some
disadvantages concerning the error messages users have to try and decipher
when they have problems with profiles; if I could avoid the entire issue,
that would be handy.

Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

...Bruce