SWAT authentication on non-PAM system

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Fri Mar 31 01:33:31 GMT 2000

Jeremy M. Dolan <jeremy at AXISTANGENT.NET> wrote:
> I have a Slackware 7.0 system, which uses MD5 shadowed passwords and no PAM.
>
> SWAT will not authenticate me.
>
> configure doesn't seem to have an option for MD5, when I compile sshd (from
> openssh.com) I need to specify --with-md5-passwords to configure. I don't
> see any option for this in Samba/SWAT.
>
> I hope I can figure out how to set up a simple PDC for 3 workstations with
> samba TNG, or this machine is lost to NT Server, we need a domain by the end
> of the week... =(

First observation:  You really want to use PAM, even if only for some
applications.

Second observation:  PDC support with samba means using encrypted passwords,
which means not using the password field in /etc/passwd. If you don't have a
specific need for SWAT, don't worry about MD5 passwords. Yes, SWAT can make
configuration of samba a little easier, but it's not necessary.
Sam Couter                                              sam at topic.com.au
Internet Engineer                               http://www.topic.com.au/
tSA Consulting