NT network, without a domain?

Bruce Vrieling bruce_vrieling at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 13:43:05 GMT 2000

Hi,

I currently have a network consisting of Windows 95 clients and A Linux
server running Samba 2.0.5a. We force users to log into Win95 with their
Linux usernames and passwords, and we run a login script from the server
which maps all their drives and printers. Pretty standard setup, and it
works great.

I want to migrate this to NT (NT clients, Samba server). However, I am a
little uncomfortable with the work (setup and ongoing admin) involved in
creating a domain. I don't want to have to worry about a smbpasswd file, and
creating domain entries for machines, etc. (I do not use encrypted
passwords).

I'm wondering (and perhaps this is a stupid question): Can I setup an NT
network to mimic my 'domainless' Win95 setup? Ie. cause authentication to
occur against the Linux server, and run a login script, but do NOT create a
domain. My needs are simple, and it seems a domain is overkill. Is this
possible? Or is using a domain simply 'the way it needs to be done' with NT?

Your input, with smb.conf suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

...Bruce

P.S. If I DO have to make use of a domain, which is the 'best' Samba code to
use for such a project? 2.0.6/7, a TNG snapshot, or a HEAD snapshot?