Acting as PDC

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Mar 27 12:28:00 GMT 2000

At 11:53 PM 3/29/00 +1000, Gerald Carter wrote:
>Panagiotis Malakoudis wrote:
>>
>> do you have any idea why this happens? Why can't you
>> have the same netbios name as the workgroup name?
>
>Never tracked it down exactly, but my guess is that
>the client gets confused trying to differentiate between the
>domain name and the server name.  Don't know if it's a
>bug in Windows 9x or according to spec.  I never checked.

The client registers its NetBIOS name as a unique NetBIOS name. If it is
the same as the workgroup/domain name, which is already registered, it gets
back an error saying that the NetBIOS name cannot be registered!

If the registration succeeds, as soon as it tries to register the
workgroup/domain name, that fails.

One way or the other, you are SOL.

>Cheers,
>jerry
>                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter
>Engineering Network Services                           Auburn University
>jerry at eng.auburn.edu             http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw
>
>       "...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home."
>                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course