two samba servers

Matthew Brichacek mmbrich at ductamerica.com
Wed Mar 29 18:48:52 GMT 2000

Richard,

I actually tried this already.  I will explain a bit of my setup first, I have
a Mandrake 6.1 box with ADSL net access.  the reason i mention this is becuase
i use the machine as a WAN file server for telecommuting employees, and this
needs to work for that also.  I gave the linux machine a public IP from my ISP
and then created a subnet for my machines at home.  I gave the login (TNG)
server the public IP and the shares sambaver  (2.0.6) the private subnet IP.  I
set the TNG branch up to only allow logons and have the netlogon service
available.  Then i set up the 2.0.6 samba to do file and printer sharing and
use the TNG branch for it's authentication.  Ok after all this i would boot em
up and the problems I would get are as follows:

1. I compliled the two versions in seperate directories using the ./configure
--prefix=/my/smb/dirs, which are /usr/local/samba - TNG /usr/local/samba2 -
2.0.6	The two netbios' are Comp03 and Linux.  When i would try to look in
Win98 Network Neighborhood i would only see Linux and not Comp03 but the Comp03
shares are what showed up in Linux.  Comp03 is the TNG branch

2.  When restarting the two services the smbd and nmbd dameons would complain
about locking, i turned locking off for the 2.0.6 version and it seemed to work
ok.

Anyhow this is how far i have gotten on this little project and would really
like to see it all pan out too.  I have an old 386 25 w/ 8MB RAM that i can set
up to run TNG if i need to, but i doubt it will work well.  I have 5 public
IP's and 5 private IP's  All my windows machines and my Linux box have dual
IP's, each has a public and a private.  I have had people tell me that this can
make a difference so i thought i would throw that in.  If you need logs or
config files let me know, i thought that this explination might be enough
though.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew