integration NT-Dom, LDAP (Netscape, Openldap), Email

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 06:21:30 GMT 2000

"Ingo T. Storm" wrote:

It's probably not the right list, but there isn't really a list designed
for this type of thing....

> - a Samba PDC and about 5 BDCs in different network segments (some over slow
> WAN links)
> - an LDAP server as a department directory service
> - Unix/Linux smtp, pop and imap servers auth'ing against PDC/LDAP
> - SOCKS with authentication against the PDC/LDAP if possible
>
> I assume that the single logon can only be acheived via PAM and LDAP.

Take a look at PAM_SMB and PAM_NTDOM. They might be OK for your
situation. I think they're available from ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/
somewhere.

> I've read lots of HOWTOs and FAQs but I cannot find a guide on how to
> integrate all the services and get a single logon to all of them. Does
> anyone have any nice pointers? Something to get me Samba talking to LDAP
> (which I do yet not fully understand) would be a very nice starting point.

There isn't a great deal out there. When I've finished working it out I
intend on writing something, but time..... There is however a HOWTO on
getting RedHat 6.x to work with LDAP/PAM
(http://people.redhat.com/alikins/ldap/ldap.html) and another on Samba
and LDAP (I think it's called the Samba-LDAP HOWTO). Sorry about the
lack of link, but I usually just take a hard copy and file it (at home).
The last one is from a University and although they use Solaris, it
works.

Apparently the Samba source is quite easy to "read". You might find some
cool info there.

Hope it helps,
--
Matthew Geddes
Network Manager

mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au

"Our goal for the next release of Windows 2000 is to have zero bugs."
- Lucovsky, Microsoft