Inability to have W2K recognize domain

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Sun Mar 26 22:16:34 GMT 2000

kurt, it looks like you are running with mis-matched versions of rpcclient
and lsarpcd or maybe smbd

please look around your system for old versions of the libraries (and
delete them) and old versions of the samba daemons (including the msrpc
ones) and delete them, and also old versions of the client-side programs.

if you look at the data in the vuser_structs it is not being picked up
correctly, it's offset by 2 bytes, and variously trashed.

there may be some other subtle issues.

try compiling ./configure --enable-static; make clean; name on the glibc5
system, as well, and please report whether that works or not.

thank you!

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Kurt Fitzner wrote:

> >i was particularly interested to hear about glibc5 failing.  can you
> >please try rpcclient -S . -U root% -l log and issue an lsaquery or other
> >simple command (srvinfo), and let me know if that works, and if not, where
> >it fails (debug level 100).
>
> My first attempt yeielded the same result - rpcclient exited after displaying
> "Broken pipe" (session results and logs attached as
> log_libc5_rpcclient_1.tar.gz)
>
> After a few minutes, rpcclient stopped exiting, but the commands had no
> effect either (log_libc5_rpcclient_2.tar.gz).
>
> >yes, you are correct: rpcclient -S . (which can only be run as root) can
> >be used to do the equivalent of the "su" command on unix.
>
> All right.  I have also noticed, though, that the following command works:
>   ./rpcclient -S hack -U admin -l log
> no matter what password I supply.
>
> > regarding the password change, ntpass, i have this working with no
> > problems, you do this:
> > bin/rpcclient -S tngserver -U% -l log
> > [thgserver$ ] ntpass username
> > Old password: test
> > New password: tttt
> > NT password changed: OK.
>
> This works fine for me.  However, if I do not log in as root and try it, I
> get a seg fault:
>   hack:/opt/samba-tng/bin# ./rpcclient -S hack -U admin -l log
>   Enter Password:
>   [admin at HACK]$ ntpass
>   ntpass
>   SAM NT Password Change
>   Segmentation fault
>
> I don't get a seg fault if I supply a username to ntpass.
>   [admin at HACK]$ ntpass admin
>   ntpass admin
>   SAM NT Password Change
>   Old Password:
>   New Password:
>   retype:
>   NT Password changed OK
>
> I wasn't successful this morning in getting W2K to join the domain, but when
> it did fail, it failed almost instantly (not after the 30 second or so pause
> of before).  The logs were full of "ERROR: setgroups call failed!" messages,
> so I probably don't have something configured right.  It was 4am here when i
> tried, though, so I wasn't too lucid. ;)
>
> Thanks for everything, hope this helps.  I'll send more info as I get it.
>
>         Kurt.

ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals