Inability to have W2K recognize domain

Kurt Fitzner kfitzner at nexus.v-wave.com
Fri Mar 24 01:43:40 GMT 2000

I have so far had no success in getting Windows 2000 installation to join a
Samba domain.  I am using Samba-TNG 1.2 with the sample scripts only slightly
modified (attached).

I simply want to get roaming profiles working.  I need no other functionality
except that.  Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

In any case, here is a list of the symptoms I've noticed so far:

 - Won't work at all on a linux-libc5 system.  The createuser command through
   rpcclient causes the program to exit with the error "Broken pipe" returned.

The following are all on a nice moderm Linux glibc2.1 installation:

 - After following the step by step instructions in the FAQ, I found the
   rpcclient did not need a valid password to log into a user.  I typed:
   'rpcclient -S . -U root -l log' and when it asks for the password, I can
   type anything (or nothing) and get into the '[root at .]$' prompt and
   successfully create users.

 - Commands in rpcclient are constantly giving errors similar to (but which
   don't seem to affect operation otherwise):
   "socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.samr/agent failed: Connection refused"
   This seems to be independant of whether I supply a correct password to
   rpcclient.

 - The 'ntpass' command in rpcclient doesn't work to change passwords.  At
   least, I can't get it to work.  It always returns:

 - The 'ntlogin' command in rpcclient doesn't work on any accounts created
   inside rpcclient.  It will work with accounds created with 'smbpasswd -a
   <name>'.

 - When I try and join a domain in W2K (Control Panel->System->Network
   Identification), after setting the domain name, it asks me for a username
   and password.  After selecting those, and clicking ok, it pauses for about
   15 seconds and then pops up a dialog informing me the domain doesn't exist.

Any help getting this to actually work would be immensely appreciated.
If anyone has working, and would be willing to offer a working set oc
configuration files that I can plagiarize, I would be even more grateful.

        Kurt Fitzner