passwords

Michael S. Hulet hulet at ittc.ukans.edu
Thu Mar 23 15:09:12 GMT 2000

You disable encrypted passwords on one of your workstations and make new
users log into that machine.  You can also have a unique
smb.conf.unsafe_machine configuration that has update encrypted = yes
OR you can setup a secure website, behind a firewall, accessible only from
your local network, etc where users can change their passwords.  We have a
button for NT (samba), unix, or both.  It uses their unix password for
authentication so you can make the samba password whatever you want.  The
web idea was suggested on this list a couple of years ago.  Since almost
anyone can navigate a web page, it works for us.

Sorry Luke I haven't tracked the /etc/group thing down on the DEC Alpha
4.0D but I've been busy with a billion other things.  Good thing since
samba-tng-alpha.1.2 is already out.  You write code faster than I can
compile.

Michael Hulet
Network System Administrator
ITTC, University of Kansas