passwords

Sander Striker s.striker at striker.nl
Thu Mar 23 10:50:33 GMT 2000

>Hi All,
>
>    Is there a utility that reads the /etc/passwd or shadow file and
>makes a smbpasswd file w/ the correct passwords?
>
>        Thanks
>
>                Glenn

Hmmm, interesting point. Let's do some creative thinking.
Is there a way to set the password in smbpasswd (or the
samr db) the first time a user ever logs in? Meaning that
if a user is marked [first time user], his password is
checked in an alternative way(using pam?), and setting the
password to this value if it is correct. Luke?
There is a transitional fase parameter built into samba for
such cases... (mind is really making squeeking sounds now :-)
some faint memory tells me. It might however be disabled by
now, it was a pretty long time ago. :-)

Sander