Automounting of user directories on Linux

Matthew Keller kellermg at potsdam.edu
Wed Mar 22 20:15:06 GMT 2000

Thien Vu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We would like to implement a NFS type system, but I can't quite figure out
> how to have the user's home directory, which is exported as an Samba share,
> mount to the local machine. I would like to do it with out have the user
> become root. Is this possible? I've taken a look at various options in
> mount, fstab, smbmount and smbmnt. Any suggestions would be useful.

	If all of the home directories on the SMB serve are in the same folder,
export that folder (callit "Home" or "Dirs" or something). Then use
smbmnt to mount that folder to /home - As long as the /etc/passwd file
has their home directory listed as /home/username - It works great. Very
fast (TCP over NFS's UDP) and actually has user-level authentication
instead of the cheeze authentication NFS uses.

--

          - Matthew Keller -
       Lead Programmer/Analyst

Web: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/