Automounting of user directories on Linux

Seth Vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 22 20:00:19 GMT 2000

> Say I have a Samba Server "SERVER" and 2 Linux workstation "WKSTN1" and
> "WKSTN2". I want it so that when a user logs into either of the
> workstations, in the login script, it will mount \\SERVER\USERNAME (Home
> directory of USERNAME) from the SERVER to the local directory of
> /home/USERNAME. In effect, have roaming home directories on Linux, so that
> when USERNAME logs into either WKSTN1 or WKSTN2, their home directory will
> be the same thing.

I think I understand - I kinda agree - except for the problems with file
permissions this could arguably be MUCH faster than NFS - and does not
suffer the array of authentication problems that NFS has.

you would have to do some interesting things with PAM and with the mount
points. It would take A LOT of work but it might be doable.

-sv