samba-tng-alpha-1.0.tar.gz

Aaron D. Brooks abrooks at css.tayloru.edu
Wed Mar 22 17:59:32 GMT 2000

	Hmmm. Idea. _Maybe_ there are some seriously stupid problems with
this thought but I couldn't think of anything in our setup here which
would cause problems. Maybe not so else where, so people speak up...

	What if the UN*X groups were translated into NT groups by changing
their names with an appended string such as "_NTGROUP". (e.g. UN*X group
"root" becomes "root_NTGROUP", "staff" becomes "staff_NTGROUP" and so
on.) This still allows us to do macro substitutions in the smb.conf file
such as @%g_NTGROUP and _maybe_, just _maybe_, all of the world could be
very happy. Or not.

	I could be overlooking something very, very basic and deserve to
be flogged. Just a thought.

-Aaron

P.S. On second thought, rather than "_NTGROUP", I think "_SMBGROUP" would
be more accurate.

+------->
Aaron D. Brooks,  765 . 998 . 5168
Computing Systems Resource Manager