Problems logging onto domain

Tom Crummey tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 12:43:00 GMT 2000

Hello Luke,

>tom,
>
>you should be using a root account for the domain in the network control
>panel, not smbpasswd -a -m tompc$ or createuser tompc$.
>

>only use createuser tompc$ with the -j DOMAINNAME option, and only _after_
>you have actually joined tompc$ to the domain, and _only_ as a security
>measure due to microsoft using an insecure trust account password.
>
>lars, please could you update the FAQ to reflect this.
>
>thx for the detailed report, tom,
>
>luke

For whatever reason, using the dialog box to create the account from the
client returned the error that the account had insufficient priviledges to
create the account. This was despite using the root username and password.
I posted my domaingroup.map file, but no-one has said that there is
anything wrong with it...

However...

This was fixed in the cvs update for 22/3/00 at 11:00am GMT.

Also fixed is domain logins from NT SP4. Brilliant!!!

Well done Luke.

Win 2000 still doesn't find the domain and cannot join it. I have packet
dumps taken on Solaris, but they're probably no much use as they're decoded
as SUN RPC packets....

Is netmon in the NT resource pack?

Tom.

 Tom Crummey, Systems and Network Manager,      EMAIL: tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
 Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
 University College London,                       TEL: +44 (0)20 7679 3898
 Torrington Place,                                FAX: +44 (0)20 7388 9307
 London, UK, WC1E 7JE.