tng-alpha.0.11

Jamie ffolliott jffolliott at home.com
Tue Mar 21 04:55:47 GMT 2000

Logins and logouts are terribly slow.  Logins generally get the "slow
connection detected" error message, and you notice a long delay leading up
to that message.  Logout's take about a minute where most of the time seems
like idle waiting.

Roaming profiles seem to be working, but the 'netlogon' and 'profiles'
shares are always left open after the client logs out.  Is there a reason
why?  I have a hunch this leads to broken profiles on multi-workstation
networks with roaming users (a single workstation in the domain works just
fine).  Eg. Samba handles a login from a different user coming from the same
client but can't open shares that are still open on the last users's
credentials).  The user ends up with a new profile being created named
winnt\profiles\username.001 and the old one is lost when that user logs out
and writes back the new profile to the server.  This was a problem with the
prealpha HEAD branch series, although I can't test this again from home.

I may have access to test this soon with more workstations, but does this
sound like a plausible explanation?

O/S: RH 6.1 Linux, kernel 2.2.12
Samba-tng-alpha 1.1

Debug level 100 logs are available at
ftp://queensu.dhs.org/pub/samba/tng-alpha.1.1-login.tar.gz
ftp://queensu.dhs.org/pub/samba/tng-alpha.1.1-logout.tar.gz

Linux is running TNG as a PDC, named FIREWALL, on the domain HOUSE.
Client is NTWS 4.0 SP5, named DAGOBAH.

smb.conf
[global]

   netbios name = FIREWALL
   workgroup = HOUSE
   server string = House Server and Firewall
   hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.69.

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   print command = lpr -P%p %s; rm %s

   guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 500

   security = user

   password level = 8
   username level = 8

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successfull*
   domain group map = /etc/smbdomaingroup.map
   local group map = /etc/smblocalgroup.map
   domain user map = /etc/smbdomainuser.map

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   getwd cache = yes
   read prediction = True
   wide links = True