TNG-1.1 stuff

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Tue Mar 21 02:08:47 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have configured Samba TNG 1.1 to run as a PDC on a SuSE 6.2 box. I
have also got a RH 6.1 box with the same TNG version configured as BDC.

The only problem I have, is when rpcclient tries to change passwords. If
I user 'samuserset root' instead of '-p password', are there going to be
any [known] problems? The reason I ask, is because my passwords tend to
have spaces and other strange characters that are usually filtered out
on command lines ;-). When I use rpcclient and 'createuser root' I get
an account created. To fix this, I use 'smbpasswd -e root' (sorry luke!)
and I can 'ntlogin'. If I use samuserset, I can't 'ntlogin' (even if I
manually enable the root account in smbpasswd).

Is this likely to be a problem with samuserset or with the actual
password change over rpc? Because I have "successfully" (no evidence
yet) joined a TNG domain from TNG, but I am not sure if the actual trust
password has been correctly changed.

Also (while you're here), is it necessary to have the 'domain alias
map', 'local group map' and 'domain group map' on each domain member
(PDC, BDC and WKS/MEM)?

Thanks heaps to everyone in the Samba team (esp. Luke). I know it must
piss you off sometimes having people e-mail you to tell you that your
stuff is broke, even though it's OK for you. We do *really* appreciate
the good work you have all done and hope you continue. Thanks,

Matt
--
"Our goal for the next release of Windows 2000 is to have zero bugs."
- Lucovsky, Microsoft