Problems logging onto domain

Tom Crummey tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 16:19:20 GMT 2000

Hello,

I'm having all sorts of strange problems with TNG. The platform and
build details are as in my previous email with the same subject.
(Do I need to post these every time?)

1) Logging into the domain is not reliable. So far it looks like after
a period of some hours, the workstation account becomes invalid. However,
if I rejoin the domain from the workstation, logins start to work again.

2) A slow network connection is always detected. I'm hoping this is
because the level 100 debugging causes the server to look very slow.

3) Win 2000 hosts cannot join the domain, even if the workstation account
is set up beforehand. (i.e. the smbpasswd file entry is made on a HEAD
system). The error is that the domain is invalid or cannot
be contacted. There is evidence in the logs that the domain has been
contacted.

As other people are able to join the domain on 32bit Solaris machines,
I suspect that 64bit Solaris has
something to do with the problem. I do find it extremely difficult to
follow a thread through the 10 or so log files and can never seem to pin point
where the logon processes are going wrong. If there is anything I can do to
help someone debug this, let me know.

Tom.

 Tom Crummey, Systems and Network Manager,      EMAIL: tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
 Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
 University College London,                       TEL: +44 (0)20 7679 3898
 Torrington Place,                                FAX: +44 (0)20 7388 9307
 London, UK, WC1E 7JE.