How to connect NT 4.0 wks to samba pre 3.0.0 Domain?

John Weber jweber at math.cudenver.edu
Sun Mar 19 18:42:17 GMT 2000

Hi,

Look at the entries in your smbpasswd, make sure the 5th field (the one
with the [] ) only has a U for users and a W for machines. I was getting a
D in this field with the other letter. This means account disabled.

make sure all the daemons are running like
http://www.kneschke.de/projekte/samba_tng/faq/configuration.php3
describes.

The talk on the list seems to be that smbpasswd is being phased out. The
preferred way seems to be "rpcclient". Not documented that I could find
was to use the "samuserset" command from within rpcclient to change
passwords. There looks like some online help built into rpcclient in the
style of ftp, just type a "?" to get a list of commands an "? command" to
get more help. (see same URL as above) There's also a man page with
rpcclient.

Use
samuserset machine$ -p machine

from rpcclient to properly set the machine password.

There was no attachment of your smb.conf

John