samba-tng-alpha-1.0.tar.gz

Michael S. Hulet hulet at ittc.ukans.edu
Sat Mar 18 00:09:59 GMT 2000

OK Luke, sorry I didn't get back with you in a timely manner.  I
downloaded samba-tng-alpha-1.0.tar.gz.  Compiled with configure.developer
no problems.  I was able to join my NT Workstation Service Pack 3 to the
new domain using the create a Computer Account in the Domain checkbox.
The smbpasswd looked correct.  Only the root user was able to create a
computer account, however.  After rebooting, I still received the computer
account is invalid.  I stripped almost everything out /etc/group and all
of a sudden root can log in.  I logged in as myself and it took about 12
minutes to log in. I also lost my administrator priviledges.   These logs
were being written to a lot with these messages:

log.smb
free_connections: closing all MSRPC connections

log.netlogon
receive_message_or_msrpc: timeout 10000 fd 7
timeout on loop-back socket

I'm off till Monday but I'll try and find out what /etc/group was doing to
the login.  Our group file is fairly large.  If I put the original group
file back, I get the "...system cannot log you on ...." message so the
behavior is reproducible.

Michael Hulet
Network System Administrator
ITTC, University of Kansas