Access is denied.

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Mar 17 09:50:19 GMT 2000

At 11:25 PM 3/17/00 +1100, Ondrej Hanak wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Loftin Mark S wrote:
>
>> I have SAMBA 2.0.5 running on Linux. Under Linux 5.2 it worked
>> fantastically. Wednesday I upgraded to Linux 6.2 and now, from NT
>> workstations, I get "Access is denied" whenever I try to link to a SAMBA
>> share (as defined in the "/etc/smb.conf" file). Whenever I run "testparm"
>> the "smb.conf" file seems to be OK.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thank you
>
>Try turn on encrypt password (encrypt passwords = Yes in smb.conf).
>O.H.

Ummm, NO, THAT IS NOT THE SOLUTION. That only leads to more work for the
guy, however, that may hint at the problem.

As I understand it, you were using RH Linux 5.2 (there are more versions of
Linux out there than just RH :-), which shipped with 1.9.18p10 or something
like that.

The default security mode was share under 1.9.18p10, while with Samba 2.0.5
it is user.

You should:

1, upgrade to Samba 2.0.5a from the RH web site
2, probably add security=share in your smb.conf file

which will get you back to your former situation.

However, without more info, we are simply guessing.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course