samba-tng-alpha-0.16.tar.gz

Tom Crummey tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 16 17:36:03 GMT 2000

Hello,

I have been using the smbpasswd sam database all along and have do not
have a netbios name = line in smb.conf (posted two days ago). I did
a cvs update at 3:30pm (GMT) today and rebuilt samba-TNG. I have been
having trouble doing domain logons on an NT4 SP4 workstation (and a Win 2000
one as well) since Tuesday 7th March where the logon fails with the
message:

The system cannot log you into this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account
is incorrect.

I deleted the machine account from smbpasswd and readded it using:

rpcclient -S . -U root -l log
createuser tompc$

I then went to the workstation and joined it to the domain without using
the create account in the domain option of the dialogue box. I got the
message Welcome to the EE domain. (this has always been the case).

I then reboot the workstation and try a log in. This fails with the message
above.

The fact that I can continue to log in from another Win 2000 system which
joined the domain before Tuesday 7th March with no trouble indicates to
me that the workstation account password is being written incorrectly
into the smbpasswd file. I was encouraged to see that Luke had found
some more word order problems in relation to the smbpasswd file, but
unfortunately, there must still be some more.

I have debug level 100 outputs. If anyone wants to look at them, please
email me.

Tom.

 Tom Crummey, Systems and Network Manager,      EMAIL: tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
 Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
 University College London,                       TEL: +44 (0)20 7679 3898
 Torrington Place,                                FAX: +44 (0)20 7388 9307
 London, UK, WC1E 7JE.