NT 4 login problems

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Mar 16 06:32:20 GMT 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Sean E. Millichamp wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > um... sean, the logs show that you are using a user name of
> > "administrator", but your smb.conf file shows that there is no such user
> > "administrator".
> >
> > ... which is probably why you're not able to log in!
> >
> > :)
> >
> > so, you need to either use the username "ntadmin" in the nt logon
> > dialog, which i notice that you have, or "root", or "ntuser"
>
> In those logs I tried logging in with the users: ntuser, ntadmin, root,
> and administrator (for kicks, I didn't expect it to work) in that order.
>
> So either NT wasn't passing the first 3 logins to Samba or you didn't look
> in the right spots in the log :)

ok, darn.  well, i only got the last one, because it overwrote the login
from the other users.

also, it doesn't help hthat your root user ntry has no uaccount control
bits (it should be marked as [U     ] like the others, to indicate that
it's a user.

i don't know how this occurred.

manually edit the smbpasswd file to corret this, ok?

also, try restarting the daemons, esp. netlogond, and send me a .tgz
archive again, okie, checking first that it has a net_sam_logon in
log.netlogon from the actual user that tried to log in, along with a
status code failure.

thx sean!

luke