NT 4 login problems

John Weber jweber at math.cudenver.edu
Wed Mar 15 23:09:45 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have this problem (and I've posted it recently) and I've always
commented out the netbios name line. So 2 out of 3 who have login problems
are using "netbios name = somethingotherthanthednsname".

My NT machine joins the domain, but domain logins are refused. I can log
into the NT machine locally and browse the shares OK from there, so I
assume the user and smb password are OK.

My smb.conf is at the end of this message.

I'd like to help, so let me know what other info you would like to see
from me. I've sent some already and I've been trying the various
suggestions I've seen on this list.

John S. Weber

System Administrator
Center for Computational Mathematics
University of Colorado at Denver
Phone: (303)556-5394 Fax: (303)556-8550
jweber at math.cudenver.edu
http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~jweber

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> ok, i _think_ i've got it.  two out of two people who have login problems
> are using "netbios name = somethingotherthanthednsname".

[global]

#NetBIOS name isn't needed if it's the same as the hostname
#netbios name = MYSAMBAPDC
workgroup = MATHDOM

#flat files that map Unix groups to NT type groups.
#these files take the form unix_group = `Windows NT group''
#domain group map = /opt/samba-tng/private/domaingroup.map
#domain alias map = /opt/samba-tng/private/domainalias.map

#Domain controllers use user security and we need encrypted
#passwords (see ENCRYPTION.txt)
security = user
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes

#And in order for us to be *sure* to win browser elections
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

#WINS is the equivalent of DNS for NetBIOS.
wins support = yes
time server = yes

#the next lines are equivalent to the various profile details
#found in NT's User Manager
#logon script = login.bat
#logon drive = U:
#logon home = \\sleepy\%U
#logon path = \\sleepy\profile\%U

#share all home directories
[homes]
browseable = no
writable = yes
comment = Users' home directories

#set up netlogon share for system policies and login scripts
[netlogon]
path = /opt/samba-tng/netlogon
writable = no
guest ok = no
comment = PDC netlogon share

#the profiles share
#to create automatic subdirs for the different users
#chmod 1777 /opt/samba-tng/profile
[profile]
path = /opt/samba-tng/profile
writeable = yes