Need help/advice configuring Samba for ClearCase and multiple network interfaces

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Mar 14 13:29:38 GMT 2000

I'm looking for suggestions in configuring Samba for use with ClearCase and
multiple network interfaces.

My "wish" is to be able to use a single UNC name for the Samba/ClearCase host
and have a particular NT client use the "right" interface for their subnet.

I have interfaces on

47.111.64.0/20
47.140.0.0/20
47.202.32.0/20

I have the interfaces listed in the "interfaces =" entry in smb.conf

However, there is a different hostname associated with each interface. NT
clients on the different subnets would use a different hostname in their UNC
name for my share, e.g.,

\\host1\vobstore for client 47.111.65.76
\\host2\vobstore for client 47.140.7.148
\\host3\vobstore for client 47.202.34.73

I would like some way for the UNC path to be

\\Some Name\vobstore

but have the client go through the interface appropriate for their subnet.

I can get a similar result with the automounter under UNIX if I have multiple
IP addresses associated with a hostname in DNS. The automounter will select
the right interface for the subnet.

Is this even possible? Do I need to use NetBIOS aliases? Do I need to have
multiple IP addresses associated with "Some Name" and WINS/DNS will do the
right thing?

I have tried searching the samba, samba-ntdom and CCIUG archives but haven't
turned up anything.

Thanks in advance,
Eric M. Boehm                               boehm at nortelnetworks.com