Help getting started please

John Weber jweber at math.cudenver.edu
Mon Mar 13 22:56:09 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've been watching this list for a week or so and it's all very exciting.
I wound up here after reading the O'Reilly book "Using Samba" and got to
the section for setting up a PDC with samba. On page 186 it referrs to
downloading at least versioon 2.1 to be able to use it with NT clients. I
followed the instructions and compiled up whatever I got with the default
cvs download command

   cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.samba.org:/cvsroot co samba

This gave me a smbd that claimed it was version 3.0.0 (smbd -V) and the
closest I could get to what the book said was that the NT box said "Unable
to update local security to join domain".

Is this version 3.0.0 part of the TNG project and I need to follow TNG
setup instructions?

Is there a cvs command to get a version of somthing that follows the book
so I can get started, or is that line of development been dropped in favor
of TNG?

I've tried to use the cvs command such as

  cvs -d :pserver:cvs at cvs.samba.org:/cvsroot co -r BRANCH_1_9_17 samba

with different arguments for the -r switch, but I couldn't find what's
valid.

I'll take any recommendation as to how to get started here. I've
successfully gotten basic samba services (file and print shares) up
including encrypted passwords with version 2.0.6. I'm busy reading up on
NT and windows networking, but I'd like to start from something that I can
get some confidence in before I dive into the cutting edge.

Thanks,

John S. Weber

System Administrator
Center for Computational Mathematics