Login to domain still failing ...

Tom Crummey tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 9 19:26:57 GMT 2000

Hello Clair,

I have the same problem with being able to (apparently) join the domain,
but am unable to log in to the workstations. The error is:

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account
is incorrect.

This applies to both NT4 SP6a and Win 2000.

Interestingly, I can still log into a Win 2000 workstation that was joined
to the domain on Monday under an earlier version of TNG.

This would indicate to me that the joining to the domain is putting the
wrong password in the smbpasswd file.

I'm not too clear on the algorithms used to generate workstation passwords.
Is there always a well known plaintext start point (i.e. the workstation
name in lower case) which is encrypted? How does the first section of
the password line relate to the second? (I believe that the first section
is the LANMAN version of the password and the second is the NT version,
which is ecrypted from the LANMAN one, but I'm not sure I've got that
100% right).

Tom.

 Tom Crummey, Systems and Network Manager,      EMAIL: tom at ee.ucl.ac.uk
 Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
 University College London,                       TEL: +44 (0)20 7679 3898
 Torrington Place,                                FAX: +44 (0)20 7388 9307
 London, UK, WC1E 7JE.