unable to login to NT4

Clair Roberts clairroberts at home.com
Wed Mar 8 20:44:24 GMT 2000

I have unsuccessfully been trying to get samba-tng to run as a PDC in my

environment for a couple of days now.  I have been following this
mailing list and see that several others are experiencing the same
troubles.  This morning I got energized and tried it again.  Still
notta, I though this time I would post my logs and a detailed list of my

steps onto this mailing list in hopes that someone out there can sort
out the problem.

My environment is as follows :
Server is a Sun E250 running Solaris 2.7
Workstation is NT4 SP6a.  (I also have some Win98(yuk) machines and one
other NT4SP3 or maybe SP5 can't remember)

Here is a blow by blow playback -

- Samba TNG checked out from cvs today around 9:30PST.
Config/compiled/install just peachy.
- compiled it with gcc 2.95.2
- deleted my smbpasswd file
- wiped out everything in the var directory and locks dir.
- started the daemons
- smbpasswd -a root
- rpcclient -S .
  - createuser croberts         (the unix accounts were already done)
  - createuser dingo            (the name of NT workstation)
  - quit
-smbpasswd croberts             (gave my user  a password )
- at this point the smbpasswd file looked fine to me, account were there

and the format looked fine.
- right clicked on network neighborhood properties
- clicked "CHANGE"
- entered in the domain name in this case CCCC  ( during my testing I
have tried multiple different domain names hoping to avoid any strange
caching that NT might be doing)
- clicked OK,  ( it failed saying it couldn't find the domain
controller)
- I checked to see if the daemons were running and they were
- tried again but this time clicked "create computer account in domain"
and used root/password  (in the past couple of days I have successfully
joined the domain without using the create computer account option, but
not today)
- clicked okay and got "Welcome to Domain CCCC"
- clicked close
- it prompted me to reboot, so what the heck it is a windows os after
all.
- Login screen came up,  username - croberts password - what i had set
it to Domain - CCCC, clicked okay....
- error message "The system could not log you on to the domain because
the system's computer account in the primary domain is missing or the
password on the account is incorrect".
- I tried it  a few times, but still notta.
- that's it.

I have included a snippit from log.dingo below.  Let me know if you need
more of the log or anything from another log.  The log level was set to
100 during this test and they are pretty big.

Oh and one other thing I noticed in all my mucking around.  If you
change the Domain logons to equal no, or comment it out completely from
the smb.conf file then the smbpasswd command stops working.  I found
this when I decided to try and get samba-TNG to simply work at the user
auth level.

I hope this level of detail helps.  Let me know if I am doing anything
fatal during this procedure, or if you want any other information or
specific testing done, I currently have the time and the equipment to
play around with.

C.

log.dingo ---
switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 3802)
passlen1: 24 passlen2: 24
passlen: 24 24 Domain=[DINGO]  NativeOS=[Windows NT 1381]
NativeLanMan=[]
sesssetupX:name=[croberts]
lp_file_list_changed()
file /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf -> /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
last mod_time: Wed Mar  8 10:18:26 2000

lookupsmbpwntnam: nt user name DINGO\croberts
name 'DINGO\croberts' split into domain:DINGO and nt name:croberts'
initialising map /opt/samba-tng/private/domainuser.map
file_modified: /opt/samba-tng/private/domainuser.map modified
load_name_map: Scanning name map /opt/samba-tng/private/domainuser.map
load_name_map: Added 0 entries to name map.
Scanning username map /opt/samba-tng/private/usermap
Checking SMB password, user croberts domain DINGO
password_ok: check SMB auth
check_domain_security: ELKPDC(2)
domain_client_validate: croberts DINGO
get_any_dc_name: domain DINGO
domain_client_validate: could not find domain DINGO
password_ok: check Unix auth
Checking password for user croberts (l=24)
SMB LM/NT Password did not match!
error packet at line 633 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) eclass=2 ecode=2
error string = Bad file number

----